Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Terriers theme

Reading the news has made me dour and gloomy lately, so I thought I'd focus on something lighter for a moment.

I've already written about Terriers, still a great show after the eight episodes I've seen. I just had to mention the addictively catchy theme song, though. According to Stephen Douglas, it's called "Gunfight Epiphany" and was written by Robert Duncan, the show's composer. Douglas, bless him, provides the full-length version, which at 3:07 confirms my belief that it would stand on its own very nicely. It's also available from iTunes.

What does it sound like? Well, that's a tough one inasmuch as I'm not a musician. The best I can do is to say it's peppy, with a vocal that once or twice resembles Mark Knopfler in his prime. Stan Ridgway could have written the lyrics in his younger days.

Oh hell, just listen to it. Then watch the show, by hook or crook. It's witty in an American way, and while I love British wit (Blackadder, say, or P.G. Wodehouse), American wit is a precious commodity because, to be blunt, there's so little of it, especially on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment