Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

My malaise

I have lost faith that corporate America can be entrusted to show us the way to a brighter future, because it has demonstrated its susceptibility to manipulation by a handful of savvy players who have no compunction about lying and cheating to make their bucks. Most who subscribe to the Tea Party rubric undoubtedly would say the same about government. I can't say they're wrong on that score, either.

Yet the Tea Partiers want to reduce spending, but damned if they want to cut defense, homeland security (I hate that fucking Orwellian phrase), Social Security, or Medicare, the biggest components of the budget. If you believe that's a viable approach to fixing the deficit, you are deluded. Too many of my fellow citizens are deluded, or simply can't be bothered to be angry that deluded people are setting the country's agenda. So I have lost faith in my fellow citizens, too.

In whom can I believe? No one, it seems. And I bet I'm not the only one who feels this way.

All I can do, and this is how I plan to survive the near future, is to take hold of my own life as best I can.

Turning inward is unfortunate, because our survival as a species depends on our collectively taking our activities in hand. This is something a purely free-market approach is simply incapable of doing, or even conceiving of doing. But since voicing such an idea is all but heresy in the eyes of the ascendant free-marketeers, well, fuck it.

That the nation that first put a man on the moon is now wallowing in its own ignorance is tragic. But since a plurality of my fellow citizens doesn't give a shit, why should I?

No comments:

Post a Comment