Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Hanson Blues Brothers tribute

Huh. Knowing diddly about Hanson beyond the name and the ubiquity of their early hit "Mmm-Bop," I never figured they'd make a video for one of their songs, "Thinkin' 'Bout Somethin'," that would tip its and their hat to Ray Charles' cameo in The Blues Brothers. It's not quite a cut-for-cut homage, but it's as close a visual tribute as they could probably get within time and budget constraints to Charles' rendition of "Shake a Tail Feather." A couple of shots from Hanson's video even feature the well-known elevated rail crossing background from the film (via green-screen, I assume).

How's the music? I'm the wrong one to ask, since I really believe in my own advice. Allmusic's Stephen Thomas Erlewine has an opinion, though. I can say that the songs themselves are not especially alike, though there are deliberate hints of the earlier performance in the electric piano line of Hanson's.

No comments:

Post a Comment