Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

AV vs. text

In case the absence of "multimedia" in the form of pictures, embedded video, and embedded audio in this blog wasn't a clear enough sign, I'm biased toward plain old text.

I can cite all kinds of reasons, most of uncertain validity to normal people. However, the bottom line is that for the most part, the material I would find most compelling to mention, news footage, is just as readily communicable in plain text. I can gloss text far more readily than I can scan audio or video, too, which means I don't have to spend a lot of time to hit the highlights of a piece. This turns out to be incredibly important if, like me, you tend to lose hours in dictionaries and encyclopedias because you're endlessly fascinated by nearby or related items. It requires a good deal of willpower, and the aforementioned skimming ability, to prevent myself from losing even more hours on the Web. (I will not lightly sojourn to TV Tropes again, having been unable to tear myself away for the better part of twelve hours during my first visit.)

So I tailor this blog to suit myself as a visitor, which is a little weird, but there it is. Oh, and did I mention it's a hell of a lot easier to manage a blog whose contents can be represented as text files rather than multimedia presentations?

No comments:

Post a Comment