Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cravings

I had some minor periodontal surgery today. It's the first time I've had needles poking into the roof of my mouth in a few decades, and I'm pleased the experience wasn't nearly as traumatic as that first time (which kept me away from dentists for years). All in all, it was something of a non-event, to my relief.

What I didn't expect was that the post-operative dietary restrictions would reveal unsuspected cravings. No pickles or ice cream, the latter of which I could have anyway; no, I find myself longing for salt and maybe a little grease. Chips would be nice, but I'd settle for the hearty lentil soup I made for myself just the night before. Unfortunately the soup requires just a bit of chewing, so it's not on.

When I was a kid my idea of a good day's eating would have been having several shakes in a row. Not so as an adult. Give me my salt, my grease, a hint of astringency perhaps. Does anybody make pureed salt-and-vinegar potato chips?

No comments:

Post a Comment