Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

NeXT and Apple

I wasn't going to mention it, but now that Eric Schmidt has brought it up ...
When he [Steve Jobs] came back to Apple, he was able to take the technology he invented at NeXT and sort of slide it underneath the Mac platform. So today, if I dig deep inside my Mac, I can find all of that NeXT technology. Now, this may not be of interest to users, but without the ability to do that the Mac would have died. I was surprised that he was able to do that. But he did it.
A lot of longtime Apple employees like to joke that Apple didn't acquire NeXT, but rather, NeXT acquired Apple. That's how fundamentally NeXTStep and its successor/sibling OpenStep was incorporated into the heart of Mac OS X. That's how fundamentally former NeXT employees became embedded in Apple's corporate fabric, too.

(Link courtesy of Daring Fireball.)

No comments:

Post a Comment