Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Obsession Now: Jason Collett, "We All Lose One Another"

It's off a six-and-a-half-year-old album, Idols of Exile, but it's new to me. It combines strains of alternative country, folk, and pop to create an atmosphere similar to my favorite Mojave 3 songs. I've been listening to Collett's meditation on death and life (roughly in that order of lyrical importance) off and on for nearly a month, and have yet to tire of its gentle arrangement or lyrics.
So this is the day of the dead
Bound by love, unbound by flesh

...

This is birth and this is death
All in the same breath
As many have observed, we face our darkest hours alone, and Collett echoes that sentiment (from a slightly different perspective than I've encountered elsewhere) with his chorus, "We all lose one another along the way".

Pretty songs don't have to be happy. (Anyway, happy songs are overrated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment