Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Messing with the aesthetics

As you might have noticed, I started messing around with this blog's appearance, or at least, I think that's what I think I've been doing.

What prompted this was my extreme dissatisfaction with how emphasized text was being displayed in the original font, Arial. It was barely noticeable to my eyes, which obviously was contrary to intention. As it happened, once I started fiddling with the design settings, other design elements ended up changing as well.

I must admit that I was also motivated by a sternly phrased admonition I recently read, scolding bloggers for failing to take typography sufficiently into account. (I can't find the link to it, of course.) Now, I happen to agree with the blogger The Atlantic identified as Tom Lee, who trenchantly observed of typographers and typography fan(atic)s:
I love you guys, but you’re crazy.
Nevertheless, I thought a change of appearance, including typeface, was in order. If it seems a step backwards to you, by all means, please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment