Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Gmail, stop looking over my shoulder

Someone sent email to me that included an attachment, and as is often the case the body of the message included the words, "Attached is ...". When I replied, I trimmed most of the original mail but quoted that part of it. When I clicked "Send," Gmail popped up a warning box to the effect that I had included the words "attached is" but that I hadn't attached anything.

A quick test showed that if I simply quoted the entirety of the original message in my reply and composed above it, per Gmail's default behavior, no warning appeared.

Hey, Google, my netiquette predates your irritating default of top-posting. The burden is on Gmail to recognize what is quoted text versus original text, and not to put up the warning unless "attached is" appears as original text.

Better yet, Gmail could stop trying to second-guess me.

No comments:

Post a Comment