Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Call to the boomers

In an earlier post I had harsh words for the baby boomers.
They helped to overspend and whine us into the fix we're in today. They could and should have taken up their responsibility for stewardship of the nation back in the 1970s and 1980s, when they became politically active, but instead, they lived up to their reputation for self-centeredness and embraced the promise that they could still have it all.
Bill Keller's opinion piece "The Entitled Generation" is more measured but thinks there's still room for them to help.
Fellow boomers, we have done more than our share to make this mess. It’s not our fault that there are a lot of us, but we have resisted any move to fix the system.
I stand by my harsh words because I doubt Keller or anyone else can change his generation's longstanding disinterest in the rest of us. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment