Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2017

The real "Next Generation"

I finally saw Star Trek Beyond the other day. This isn't a review, though.

At the end of Beyond, Zachary Quinto's Spock finds an image of the original, or "prime", Trek crew among Spock Prime's belongings. What the moviemakers intended the moment to mean is unclear. For Quinto's Spock it could be a bit of inspiration, knowing he and his shipmates could have a long, eventful life together. It could also be simply another way of tugging at the audience's heartstrings, reminding us of the crew (characters and actors) who started it all.

For me, the moment brought to mind, unbidden, maybe the most poignant scene in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Relics". Scotty has been chatting with Picard amid a re-creation of the bridge of the original Enterprise. Abruptly Scotty realizes he's trying to return to a past he can never recapture. "I don't belong on your ship. I belong on this one."

That's how I felt when I saw that image of Nimoy, Shatner, et al., in Quinto's hands. As much as I've enjoyed some of this new crew's adventures, they're not my crew. I belong on Kirk-Prime's Enterprise, not this shiny new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment