Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Harvey apologizes

Steve Harvey made a joke recently that played on the stereotype that Asian men are sexually undesirable. I haven't mentioned it before because I've been laughing too hard. Or, well, no, I didn't mention it because it's merely the latest in a long line of dumbass "jokes" by a long line of clueless people who can't be bothered to wonder if they are clue-deprived.

Well, Harvey apologized. The text of the apology:

I offer the humblest apology for offending anyone, particularly those in the Asian community, last week. It was not my intention and the humor was not meant with any malice or disrespect whatsoever.
I give Harvey credit for not mealy-mouthing the apology with that bullshit "if anyone was offended" formula so many celebs use.

I wonder, though, why it took so f**king long for him to make it?

In a way, I find hope in the delay. Maybe he was resistant and somebody had to work long and hard to get through to him. A delay this long might mean he did some hard thinking and learned something.

I prefer to believe that, than to think he was forced by his PR flacks to stem the damage to his reputation. I'd like to think that his heart has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment