Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Enough with the cloud

So the car cassette deck is dead. Okay, I can see that. Nothing on cassette is unavailable in some digital format these days, aside from those mix tapes with painstakingly planned and executed segues I made a couple of decades ago for a road trip.

But why is the inevitable future for car entertainment the cloud?
“We went from radio to tape to optical and then to flash memory or a hard disc drive, and now we’re moving away from memory and to storage of our tunes in the cloud,” said Mike Kahn, director for mobile electronics of Sony Electronics.
One analyst posits we'll pay subscriptions or endure ads in return for cloud access.

Not me.

You assholes want us to go back to the days before we were allowed to own content, when the only way to listen to music in the car was to endure ads on the radio. You want us to surrender physical control of our preferred content and pay you for the privilege.

Screw that.

Screw you.

You content providers are forcing the cloud down our throats because you love charging us again and again and again and again and again for the same stuff. The cloud is a fraud. The promise of the cloud is a lie. And you are pigs.

I paid for it. It's my music.

I'll cheerfully pass on any car that forces me to use the godforsaken cloud, and I'll tell my family and friends to do the same.

Once again, screw that.

Screw you.

No comments:

Post a Comment