Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Great show you're not watching: Terriers

Remember The Rockford Files? James Garner as a private investigator with a strong sense of self-preservation was one of the more enjoyable rogues with a heart of gold to parade on the small screen. Well, add two more such rogues in the entertaining but apparently overlooked Terriers on the cable channel FX.

Donal Logue's Hank Dolworth is an ex-cop, recovering alcoholic, and ex-husband; Michael Raymond-James' Britt Pollack is Dolworth's partner in not-quite-crime, a refugee from the shadier side of things. The two are unofficial private investigators struggling to make a living in Ocean Beach, California.

On the face of it, this doesn't seem like the most original or interesting of premises. What drew me in was the abundance of humor throughout the first two episodes (which are all I've seen so far). The plots are meant to be taken seriously (and you do take them seriously), but the way Dolworth and Pollack banter, and a few of the odd situations they find themselves in, raise a smile -- and on a few occasions, draw out a guffaw.

This stumbling attempt at a review is why I'm not a TV critic. Fortunately, the San Francisco Chronicle's Tim Goodman has a much better-written review of the show which you should check out. (Goodman is the reason I'd heard of it at all.)

I'll admit, I have an ulterior motive here: I like the show, more than I've liked any non-HBO show in a long time, and I'd like it to stick around. I'm therefore spreading the word about it in the hopes that the ratings will rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment