Pages

Friday, March 3, 2017

Please stop saying "Orientals"

I'm trying to be nicer about correcting people here.

In that spirit, let me say that I'm going to give Rep. Mike Bost (R-IL) the benefit of the doubt, and assume he simply didn't know better when he used the term "Orientals".

So Rep. Bost, for future reference: please stop saying "Orientals". Or "Oriental", for that matter.

If you're curious why, consult Wikipedia.

I hope you'll take this request in the mild spirit in which it's intended.

However, if you think you're being browbeaten, I hope you'll stop and consider a different perspective.

You may not think it's a big deal, that those of us who object are too sensitive. But you're not the one who has to cope with all the baggage that that term carries. And is it that big a deal for you to honor what is, after all, not that onerous a request?

Some might be inclined to belittle this request as mere political correctness run amok. To them I would reply that "political correctness" is a term seemingly used only by those uninterested in the principle at its heart: civility — common courtesy.

Finally, Rep. Bost, I'm sympathetic to your point that being yelled at in a town hall, without being able to engage in a real discussion with your constituents, is a waste of your time. I hope, though, that you recognize that some of those constituents really do have concerns about Congress' priorities. Give those concerns due consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment