Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

The federal government exists

An Atlantic piece says that Cliven Bundy's argument with the federal Bureau of Land Management stems in part from his unique view of reality.
"I believe this is a sovereign state of Nevada," Bundy said in a radio interview last Thursday. "I abide by all of Nevada state laws. But I don’t recognize the United States government as even existing."
I've got news for you, Mr. Bundy: the federal government exists. Just ask your militia buddies who used the interstate highway system, and very likely GPS, to race to your defense. In fact, I'd really like for you and them to spend a week in a world where the federal government didn't exist. I don't think you'd like what you saw.

Bundy may have legitimate grievances against the BLM and the rest of Washington, but all I see is a weasel who mooches off public lands, then foments armed insurrection when the government gets forceful about seeking payment. He doesn't look like a victim: he looks like a menace.

Our federal government is, in some ways, a mess. But these self-important anarchists make the government look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment