Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Think about your site design

Okay, I admit that I have a ludicrously underpowered system (memorywise) and use a browser that swells up like a pufferfish over time (Firefox, itself a refuge from the even sorrier memory pig that is Safari).

Even so, some of you site designers out there have some 'splainin' to do.

WTF, Talking Points Memo and Salon? Why is it that whenever I load multiple articles from your sites my system goes from middle-aged to arthritic? Why does system swap suddenly balloon like a cartoon mosquito that hit an artery? Why is some frakking script from adnxs.com always busy and unresponsive?

And in particular, TPM, why in the name of Christ are you still running your site on Flash?

I can leave my browser window open all day and night on the New York Times home page and return to a fully responsive browser. I can read dozens of articles from that site without bringing my browser to its knees.

Why does an old media site have a more responsive and less burdensome Web site than you guys on the allegedly new media side of things?

What the hell are some of you site designers doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment