Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Spaghetti sauce

A while back I saw chef Scott Conant recommend not only finishing one's spaghetti (or any pasta, really) in the simmering sauce just before or as it hit al dente, but also taking a little of the water in which the spaghetti was boiled and adding it to the sauce to thicken it so it would coat the spaghetti better. I'd tried following this tip before, but hadn't noticed the difference. It turns out that for about two quarts of sauce, about a half-cup of the starchy water does the trick, sort of. The result is a little gummier than I'd like, but I put that down to overcooking the pasta (again) and adding just a bit too much cooking water. I'm still experimenting, but it's getting better.

No, I haven't been all that invested in the news lately. Although I did find it intriguing that Dick Cheney needed a heart transplant, since he seems to have been chugging along without one for over a decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment