Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Nick Drake and the AT&T ad

Love me some Nick Drake, but heaven help me, that stupid AT&T ad is starting to make me dread "From the Morning."

I'll admit that at first, the sheer novelty of hearing Pink Moon's lovely closer, linked to clever imagery, actually made the commercial a pleasant surprise. However, repetition kills. Soon enough, "clever" became "sinister," as it became all too easy to think sourly of the resurgent Ma Bell covering the planet not with sunny orange stripes but a stifling orange straitjacket. Worse, just now I caught myself linking my irritation with the ad to the song for the first time.

My only hope is that AT&T won't display the same destructive instincts as United Airlines. I will never forgive the latter for its incessant and shameless abuse of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue," abuse which utterly destroyed the possibility of listening to that fine composition without thinking of that soulless, artistically and financially bankrupt company.

No comments:

Post a Comment