Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

MGM title cards

Again courtesy of Cartoon Brew, some gorgeous title card art. I'm not a complete fuddy-duddy when it comes to cartoons: I was a huge fan of the late, lamented Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, for instance. But my heart belongs to the Golden Age of Hollywood animation. Take a look at those title cards, particularly the ones for Dance of the Weed and A Rainy Day. Just look at the marvelous details in the latter: the staves are thick, rough, solid; the surface of the water shimmers ever so slightly. I'll grant you that the cartoons themselves probably aren't great: MGM was still a couple of years away from discovering the brasher, faster style that the Warners crew was starting to unleash. Still, I dare you not to find this artwork evocative and, if not always beautiful, then at the least, charming (e.g., the one for the Milt Gross characters).

No comments:

Post a Comment